Latest news

« »

Friday, 17 March 2017

The Road Traffic Act 1988 (Motor Racing) (England) Regulations 2017 (SI no 390)

These regulations deal (as the title suggests) with motor racing events. For a race, or a trial of speed, between vehicles lawfully to take place on a public way, it needs a permit from a motor sport governing body and a motor race order from the relevant highway authority. Section 12 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 makes it an offence to promote or take part in an unauthorised event, but sections 12A to 12I (inserted by the Deregulation Act 2015 - deregulation clearly does not mean reducing the sheer volume of legislation) provide a mechanism for getting the necessary authorisation. The present regulations specify the Motor Sports Association and the Auto-Cycle Union as the governing bodies which may issue permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment